The Romanian authorities are constantly working on several mechanisms to encourage the birth rate at the national level. Among them are also financial aids for young mothers, especially those facing financial problems.
In Romania, there is an aid of 2,000 lei for newborns, also known as “kitty money”. This money would be transferred during this week to disadvantaged mothers, and the list includes both people with little or no income, as well as people at risk, such as minors or who are victims of domestic violence. On this topic, the Ministry of Investments and European Projects (MIPE) confirmed that the payments related to the kits for 10,000 newborns were made on Monday, and that they will reach the mothers’ cards in the next few days at the most.
Aid of 2000 lei from the state, what can you do with the money
If it is still entitled kit aid, the 2000 lei on the back can be used to buy diapers, clothing for newborns, sanitary items and others in the same spectrum.
According to the press release, MIPE “made today (May 29 – n. ed.) the payments related to the kits for newborns for a total number of approximately 10,000 beneficiaries mother-child couples from all over the country, the amounts will be transferred to the beneficiaries’ cards during the coming days”.
Regarding the list of mothers eligible for this aid, according to GEO 113/2022, we are talking about people in one or more of the following situations:
- to whom the right to a guaranteed minimum income is established, by written order of the mayor, based on Law no. 416/2001 regarding the guaranteed minimum income;
- who are part of families receiving family support allowance granted under Law no. 277/2010 regarding the family support allowance;
- with disabilities;
- who are temporarily in critical life situations (victims of calamities, domestic violence, dependent persons, etc.) and/or who are in particularly vulnerable situations (they no longer have a home, have been evicted from their home, etc.);
- who do not have identity documents and who, for this reason, cannot benefit from civil rights;
- coming from the area of the armed conflict in Ukraine.
It is important to remember that this money will not come automatically, but involves a request made within a maximum of three months after the birth of the child. The money will come in the form of a social voucher on electronic support, on a card and cannot be withdrawn from the ATM, but only payments can be made with it on the territory of Romania.